Welcome

My name is Faune Nicholas and I have been a teacher for 5 years working specifically in the Langley School District. I generally teach grade 2, 3 or even a 2/3 split. Not only am I teacher, but my students will tell you, I am an avid coffee drinker. Hence the name for my site. I started my masters program in my 4th year of teaching, not only for the pay raise, but also because I wanted to learn about how to be a more effective teacher. I work in a very small school, in a beautiful community surrounded by beautiful people. My love of teaching really comes from the love I have for my students. Each year I learn something new or have a new focus for my students. Although these foci don’t necessarily come from me but more my students passions.

I am a firm believer in trying things that scare you or that force you to put the control in the hands of my students. They consistently surprise me every time I do this. Whenever I think it is going to be a complete disaster, they find a way to prove me wrong. One thing I have noticed over the years is the way my students respond to small group instruction. I group students based on abilities, personalities and focus areas depending on the target goal. I believe that when we teach students there should only be one new thing at a time. What this means is, that instead of me teaching a new concept and using a new framework to teach, I either teach a new concept or a new framework. I find that this allows students to better use their prior knowledge and they find more success.