Unprecedented Times

Current Situation:

During this week people are encountering an unprecedented time where social distancing is a continued safety measure. Since this is occurring all schools within B.C. have closed.

Questions:

Question Mark, Pile, Questions, Symbol, Ask, Help

https://pixabay.com/illustrations/question-mark-pile-questions-symbol-2492009/

The question then begs, what will teaching look like when teachers return to school? Will it be a question of working from home or working within the classroom? Are we going to be mandated to use a particular online learning service such as MyBluePrint or Google Classroom? All districts and provinces will be different in their approaches. Seeing as I am on Spring Break now, which doesn’t have a normal Spring Break calmness, I am unsure of what will be expected of me when I return to work. I also wonder how long we will be required to teach online everyday? Will it be the 6 hours of normal schools time? If it is, I for see many many issues that will occur.

Options and Considerations for Online Curriculum:

Given that my district has focused and implemented MyBluePrint as their online learning space I am going to be using that to provide online learning tools. On MyBluePrint, you are able to assign lessons or activities. For example, I would record myself doing a read aloud, asking questions and ask the students to submit a typed response on their MyBluePrint to answer the questions I have asked about the book. I could even have them pose questions themselves about the book. In doing this, we can then have discussions about the questions or connections that we have made during the reading. Following this, students could be asked to submit a written reflection about a topic that I assigned to them that involved the book. Another thought I had around using MyBluePrint, is that I could send out a picture of a Story Workshop I have created and have the students write a story using that they see in the picture.

For math, I could utilize platforms that my students are familiar with such as Math Playground or Greg Tang Math websites. This will allow students to focus on specific concepts while playing games just like we would in the classroom. Furthermore, using the MyBluePrint platform I could pose open ended math questions to which students would respond with explaining their thinking and problem solving. They could provide a video or picture as well to demonstrate how they solved the problem or what questions they encountered. Students could be sent home a copy of math games and asked to play with them their parents or a sibling. How this would occur if students didn’t have a printer would be another question to consider. It is one I don’t necessarily have the answer to just yet.

Other considerations could be sending out YouTube videos, National Geographic links or using  the Digital Resources Page that would allow students to watch videos based on science or social studies curriculum. Given that I had already planned to incorporate a science specific inquiry project. Students could be given directions and resource links in order to complete this project at home. They would be required to send in weekly updates on their research, questions they have, a visual plan of how to create their project, a video of their completed project and explanation and finally a reflection. All of these pieces could be submitted on MyBluePrint.

Learn, Student, Laptop, Internet, Online, Books, Woman

https://pixabay.com/photos/learn-student-laptop-internet-3653430/

Overall Thoughts and Feelings:

Of course this is a stressful time for everyone but given that I have been doing my masters which specifically focuses on technology I feel that I am prepared enough to have a starting point. I will absolutely encounter hurdle after hurdle but I believe I have some necessary tools at my disposal in order to provide students with basic education. I believe it is essential for teachers to open their minds and share, share, share their knowledge so support one another during this time.

1. Sean Gorman

Great post!
    I think we are thinking the same questions and mulling over the different situations that could arise. I also feel that with the “Masters”, I am feeling confident that I would be able hold my own with my class. I feel that some teachers will struggle with the transition but we will see if it even gets there…
    Who knows whats coming up next!

Sean

2. Leanne

Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas that your students will really enjoy! I really agree with your closing comment on sharing ideas and supporting each other as we make the transition. One thing I have been wondering about is student access to technology and the impact this may have.

3. jca

Great list of resources for teachers to implementing online learning during the lockdown. I also suggest Gizmos for math and science based explorations as they have pre-made lessons and activities built around elementary topics too. Our district has membership with them so we teachers get a free account.
    A question I have is how comfortable will you feel when assessing students on their learning given what they present may not be completely their own work (have the helicopter parents already landed and taken over?)

4. Rhy

You provided clear ideas even if you are uncertain what it will look like as a whole. Finding ways to use the same teaching strategies you use in the classroom so students have something familiar in this uncertain time is a great plan.