Technology has always been a hot topic of conversation in that it can often be presented as a dichotomy. Being that it is either a distraction or an enhancement. I believe that it is actually somewhere in the middle. Technology can provide society with opportunities that we have previously lacked such as the ability to connect with people who are remote or learn and discover things in a quickly and timely manner and even the ability to personalize the way we teach. Yet, technology has also progressed so quickly that is has provided many challenges to the common everyday teacher such as myself. When my students think of technology they immediately think video games. Although, some video games can provide educational knowledge and learning to students, if not watched closely I have found that students become exposed to concepts such as violence that they are not mentally able to comprehend.

Another challenge that is presented with technology when it comes to teaching and teachers is the accessibility, knowledge base and the purpose to its use. When I think of the purpose technology has within my classroom, I think about how my students can use it to further understandings and practice skills. An example would be using math games as a vehicle for students practicing math skills and concepts without relying on worksheets. This provides them with a ‘fun’ activity, where they focus on a task independently for a certain period of time. Furthermore, mathematical games can also provide specific goals for the students to accomplish. Similarly, in the article Implications of Shifting Technology in Education by Janet Holland and John Holland, speak to the use of technology in language arts in that “typing electronically is quick, voice command typing is even faster. In addition, digital writing offers the support of immediate spelling and grammar checking. It is not fool proof and still requires a good foundation in writing basics” (p.2) The concept of using technology in writing is difficult for me because although it is providing students with a quicker way to communicate their thoughts, I start to wonder what the purpose is. Is it to communicate quicker? Why would quicker communication be needed? By using technology in this manner, does it take away from the students ability to physically write properly? Does it increase or decrease the ability of the student to recognize grammar and spelling mistakes on their own and how to fix them? Also, when we talk about the use of technology over traditional methods does it change the way our brains interpret knowledge? When I am reading and physically making notes with a paper and pen that process, along with the physical aspect of writing the letters, helps to solidify the concept in my mind. When I type, I am usually faster but every key feels the exact same thus concepts are not as solidified because it does not have the same physical feeling. Lambda Solutions states in their article The Biggest Education Technology Trends for 2019 that

“The truth is, the best educational technology doesn’t replace the traditional classroom, but enhances it. Through the latest educational innovations, teachers and students now have better access to quality resources and effective learning methods than ever before.”

Throughout my readings I am starting to learn that technology doesn’t need to be feared by the average, not so tech savvy teacher, but simply embraced and explored. Realistically all we can do it try to provide our students with ways to learn and understand the technology that is available to them and how we can use that technology for positive changes in our lives and the world.