https://ayekabiznik.tumblr.com/post/60849854754

When reading this weeks articles I found myself in a game of mental ping-pong. As I read Clark’s article, I struggle to see how technology does not allow for any learning gains. Then again, when reading Kozma’s article it seemed as though there was very little evidence provided that learning gains truly take place. Both articles were unable to sway me one way or the other. Instead I found myself watching a ball be hit back and fourth over a table asking myself: What is the role of technology in education?

Seeing as I did not agree with either of Clark’s or Kozma’s arguments I found myself aligning more with Becker who alludes that Clark or Kozma is entirely right or wrong but that each has a fundamental piece of the technological puzzle. From Clark I learned that that it is important as an educator to ask yourself the question of why. Why am I using this piece of technology and what am I hoping the students gain from it? From Kozma I furthered my own understanding that technology has a place in the classroom to increase student engagement.

I believe it is important that technology is infused into the classroom alongside well thought out instruction. I do not believe that these two entities are meant to be separate. Technology can offer students experiences they would not receive from regular instruction.  An example being coding, students use technology to problem solve coding issues through game play. In doing this they are learning computer skills, problem solving skills and coding skills that can assist them in jobs they may seek in the future. Technology is a massive part of todays youth. Without any sort of technology within the classroom we lose a valuable ‘hook’ of instruction. Technology also allows students to work more independently on projects that are personalized to them. There is only one teacher in a classroom with only so much information available versus there being one on one computers or IPads that can provide superior information at a touch of a button.

This isn’t to say that instruction isn’t needed. Regular instruction is needed for all students in balance with technology because all students learn in a different way. The combination of technology and instruction allows for students to be given information or explore concepts in a vast number of ways. Furthermore, instruction allows a teachers personality to come through as they teach which is a often a large part of how students connect with their instructor. Human connection cannot be mimicked by technology. Thus, technology can provide students with an engaging source of learning from games to research. There are countless options in the field of technology that allow students to be able to learn in a way that suits them.